Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ash Wednesday - Lent

I grew up Episcopalian. It was the next best thing to being Catholic. I ate fish on Fridays, went to Sunday school, sang in the choir, participated in the youth group, and gave up something for Lent. I'm not sure I ever made it through the entire 40 days without doing what ever it was I had given up. It was like New Year's resolutions. Lots of good intentions, but stuff happens.

Now I focus more on what I should do to help take care of this body that God has given me. The past weekend was a real challenge in terms of maintaining sane eating habits, and continuing to focus on making healthier food choices. For the most part I was successful in those two things over the long weekend. I stayed away from desserts when I ate out with my teammates, and I totally ignored the chocolate double stuf Oreos that my friend Karl was eating while we played hearts on Saturday and Sunday evenings. In the past those card games have been deadly for me eating wise. If I don't start, then I don't have to worry about stopping.

So the next 40 days will focus on continuing what I have started. They say it takes 21 days to form a new habit. So lets see what positive habits I can form in the next forty days.

1 comment:

Fishy said...

I am so proud of you for resisting double stuff oreos !!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee