Saturday, March 05, 2016

What's next?

As I looked back on the last two years since I rejoined the ranks of triathletes, I realized that despite my run and swim "training" (I use the term lightly) I did pretty damn well.  The question I had to ask myself was; "Could I do better?" Hmmm, eight age group firsts and one second isn't too shabby.  Really? Can I do better than that? Oh yeah, don't be one of the last swimmers in my age group, and don't let that woman you chased down on the bike pass you on the run at West Point Triathlon.  No problem! Just swim and run faster, and the bike will take care of itself.  It always does.

Although I'm not one to make New Years Resolutions, I do like to set some goals for myself.
  • Swim more.
  • Run more.
  • Bike better.
  • Lose the holiday pounds. 
Those are the little goals that are a little too general and vague.  I needed to clarify them more:

Swim more.
  • 2 to 3 times a week.
  • Increase my yardage.
  • Be more specific about workouts.
  • Work on my technique.

Run more.
  • 2 to 3 times a week.
  • Increase my mileage.
  • Work on improving speed, with more structured workouts.
  • Jun a running club.

Bike better.
  • Knock off the junk miles.
  • Work on pedaling technique and cadence.
  • Ditch the group if necessary for speed work.

Lose the holiday pounds.(5 pounds)
  • Be more diligent about tracking food.
  • Find the right balance between carbs, proteins and fat.
  • Cut back on the sweets.
  • Let the increased mileage do its thing to my metabolism.

Those are my training goals, but what about racing?

4/24: St. Anthony's Olympic distance. St. Petersburg, FL
6/26: Sleepy Hollow Sprint Triathlon, Sleepy Hollow, NY
8/13: USAT Age Group National Championships, Omaha, NE
9/25: Westchester Triathlon, Rye NY
11/13 National Aquabike Championships, Miami, FL **

** I've been thinking about a 70.3, but that would totally depend on what I actually can do with my running.  I also don't know which one I would do. If I go for the 70.3 then I'd skip the aquabike, unless I find a race that's far enough away from the aquabike.

Next post: How am I doing?


No comments: